Effective corrosion protection programs can save significant costs to repair or replace equipment that is affected by corrosion.
Following is an overview of the steps taken to design and implement a comprehensive and effective corrosion protection program for water using systems including steam boiler systems, and cooling tower systems:
1- Plant Assessment
- Study plant design, operation, and water chemistry.
- Review historical results , including plant inspections.
- Modelling to predict the potential for corrosion.
2- Program Design
- Pre-treatment equipment: de-aerator, de-alkalization, RO, other.
- Chemical type: Oxygen scavenger, metal passivator, filming, volatile, nonvolatile.
- ROI study: Capital vs operational cost vs amount saved by reducing corrosion rate.
- Program justification: Select program based on most attractive ROI.
- Pre-treatment equipment: Install & commission.
- Chemical dosing equipment: Install & commission.
- Chemical program: Initial dose and continuous dose.
- KCP monitoring: Analyses of chemical residuals, water corrosion indices, dissolved oxygen
- KPI monitoring: Corrosion rates by coupon, LP corrator.
- Review: Actual vs target and make adjustment to chemical program if needed.